Monday 4 May 2015

My First Canvas

I have wanted to have a go at a canvas for ages and have finally done it!.  It wasn't until I had finished that I realised I had not included any stamping - I think that is a first for me!



I used a very cheap 7 x 7 canvas which was pre primed with gesso.  I then painted it with Waterfall, Lilac and Periwinkle Eco Green paints cause they match the gorgeous Lavinia Stamp image that came with a set from QVC a long time ago. The background is also dabbed with some Spun Sugar Distress Paint which is really subtle then I used the 7 x 7 Grunge Star mask by Splodgeway to add Diamond Sparkle Medium, which I coloured with the Waterfall paint, for a sparkling texture.  The frame for the image is made using Spellbinders labels One die, the large flowers using Cheery Lynn Die, Chrysanthemum Strip - I just used two layers for each flower, and the teeny tiny flowers are Impression Obsession Die 14 O-D (its a fab die that is just loads of these pretty little flowers.  I used metal corners, large metal flower and metal brads for the flower centers from my stash.  The white sparkly letters I have had for ages - I think they came with a Die Cuts With A View kit.  The metal corners and flower, the frame, all the die cut flowers and edges of the letters have had Patina, Amethyst (or both) Creative Expressions Gilding Wax added and everything has been sprayed with a coat of Crafters Companion spray varnish to give it a bit of protection.  The die cut flowers are all purple with patina gilding wax - they look quite dark in the photo but they are really pretty and the stars and image has lots of sparkle too!

I really enjoyed making it and it was nice to do something for myself!  Its hanging on the wall in my craft room.  Next time I will perhaps be more adventurous but I am pleased for my first one.

I would like to enter it into the Artful Times challenge which is 'A bit of Finnabair' (metal, flowers, lace).  My canvas has metal and flowers.  I think its more 'Chris' than 'Finnabair' but I tried!  Neet and Wendy have done wonderful canvases and I am sure all the other entries will be fabulous too!  Please pop over and have a peek.

Thank  you so much for visiting me - I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it!  Take care. Christine xxx







15 comments:

Darnell said...

Oh, well done, Chris!! I'm so happy that I can click to enlarge the picture and see every sweet detail and how you have wonderfully designed the placement of each element!! I'll bet you grin from ear-to-ear when you look up and see it on your wall!! Hugs, Darnell

chrissie said...

Well done with this canvas. It is magic with the glittery letters and the wonderful texture you added to it.

Love Chrissie xx

Sue said...

This is fabulous Chris! I have often wanted to dabble in the canvas's too but didn't know what things to use LOL lots of huggles Sue xxx

Jester said...

it's delightful, Chris, and I think that it is good that it is more you than Finnabair, good though she is. It can be difficult to find one's own style, but your piece is uniquely 'you'. Hope you create some more canvases. You are obviously good at it. Jx

Jacee said...

Fabulous Chris!
hugs jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Neet said...

Congratulations on your first canvas Chris. So glad you enjoyed making it and hope this inspires you to make many more.
We certainly enjoyed seeing it so thank you for sharing with us. Love the theme you chose and the die cuts you used to make it up.
Thanks Chris
Hugs, Neet xx

Sarn said...

WOW - that's a really lovely canvas.

Good on you for getting out of your comfort zone and making one. I have a pack of 5x7 canvasses sitting on my desk . . . currently unused. I must get brave like you and have a go with them!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Anita in France said...

What fabulous images and detailing to complement the 'dream' lettering, Chris ... magical! Anita :)

PS Did you see you won one of the daily giveaways at the W&W Release Week ... Yay!

Unknown said...

Hi Chris, love your canvas, the colours are so pretty, dream & the fairy go so well together xx

Sharon Fritchman said...

Great big congrats on completing your first canvas! It is absolutely gorgeous!!!! I love everything about your beautiful creation, my friend! And I want to wish you a very Happy Mother's Day, too! HUGS!!!

May said...

Gorgeous canvas Chris...the design is stunning I adore anything with fairies the colour is perfect... Have a happy week ahead... Hugs May x x

Julia said...

Well done for having a go at a canvas, the result is stunning. Julia x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This is quite gorgeous! That image looks like it is in a niche, there is so much dimension. Lovely colors too!

alexandra s.m. said...

Bravo Chris!
Your first canvas is beautiful!!
Thank You so much for your kind words about my DD I wish I could also live on the South Coast ;)

LesleyG said...

What a dream of a canvas! It's gorgeous! Would love to have a go one day, yours is inspiring xxx