Thursday 24 January 2019

Twofer Challenge - Birds!

I am rushing to join in with the fabulous Darnell's Twofer Challenge



I haven't managed to join in with this challenge for ages and I was determined to this time - the theme is 'Birds'.  Here are my two cards using the same bird die on both cards with different designs for two different occasions.  Such a fun idea for a challenge!  Sorry its not the best photo.



The thank you card is winging (excuse the pun!) to the recipient as we speak! 



The background is made with Distress Oxides and water on my glass mat - I made two A4 sheets of these colours so I can use them on future projects.  I cut a square then stamped the Clarity Thank You stamp with my Misti to make sure it was straight and in a perfect square.  The Apple Blossom die (I have no record of the name) was cut from snippets of black card as were the four flowers in the corners which were from a die that was free with a magazine and matched the flowers on the bird die perfectly.  I made a square card base, added the main panel and it was finished. 



For the birthday card I cut the die three times from snippets of card, two in the black and one in the white - actually I cut an extra  one in white and tried both ways  round and went for the white in the centre in the end.  I chose pink for the panel so the die cuts would really pop and made a DL card base.  The sentiment is by HobbyArt stamped in Versafine Claire Nocturne on a snippet of white card, cut up then edged with black marker.  The little white butterflies are cut from Sizzix Butterfly Frenzy.  To make sure all my black and white snippets match and also match the base card, I store any snippets with the matching sheets of white or black card so I never mix the different whites and black as it really shows if you use mixed up shades of either.  I have several drawers of different white card and a couple of black.  I am totally disorganised in most things but do manage to keep those organised.  I may have mentioned it before but I think its a really good tip.

As well as the Twofer Challenge I would like to enter the following:

Pixie's Snippets Playground - use Snippets!  Another wonderful challenge, thank you Di!

I hope you are having a fab week - I apologise for my lack of visits - haven't been too well lately!  I keep having to apologise - soooooo sorry!

Take care. Christine xxxxxxxxxx



15 comments:

Loll said...

Two wonderful bird cards Chris! The first one has the most beautiful and dreamy background with the blended watercolours. Gorgeous with the black accents that pop against the colours. Wonderful design with your thank you sentiment on all four sides. Your second card is so pretty with the deep pink card base and your multiple bird die-cuts. Fun card to wish a happy birthday. Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge!

Lisa said...

They're both so beautiful!! I really love the background colors of the thank you card!! They're gorgeous!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Anne said...

They're both lovely Chris, the twofer challenge is a great idea
Anne x

Darnell said...

So good to see you, Chris! I love your two different designs! The smooched background on your thank you card is in really yummy colors and it works so well behind the black silhouette and black stamping! (I can't believe those corner flowers were not part of the bird die! Serena Dipity!) And your long tall triple bird design is fantastic in deep pink! I like how you did one of the images in white to bring the eyes right into focus and how you weaved your sentiment throughout the design! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #12! Feel better soon!! Hugs, Darnell

Anita in France said...

What a dreamy background, Chris ... your single silhouette bird is so pretty against it ... great framing with the scripty sentiment! The trio of silhouettes in monochrome are wonderfully bold ... and really pop against that vibrant raspberry base! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Hugs, Anita :)

Leslie Miller said...

That's a very pretty bird die with a dreamy background for your thank you card. You certainly did get the thank you into a perfect square, and the little flowers in the corners are an exact match to those on the branch! I do love a tall card, and it makes a good home for your birds as though different levels on a tree. Pretty and cheerful! I'm glad you found time to play in our Twofer Birds Challenge, and I hope you're feeling better!

Mac Mable said...

Hope you are on the mend?
What gorgeous cards and so very different with using the same die cut bird. Love the oxide background on your first card and the layout on the second looks so eye catching. Wonderful cards, both of them x.

Redanne said...

Both cards are beautiful but I am drawn to the first one, the background is gorgeous and it is such a lovely contrast with the boldness of the black, I love it!! So good to see you blogging too! Big hugs my friend, Anne xxx

Di said...

Wonderful cards Chris! AND, the beautiful thank you one arrived here this morning - I totally love it! Many thanks!

Hugs

Di xx

oldpunca said...

Fabulous bird cards! I like the background on your first card. Fantastic stamping of the sentiment. You've done a very nice design for the birthday card. :-)

chrissie said...

Wonderful ideas on both cards they will be well received for sure

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

EmmaT said...

wonderful cards, love the colours used on the first one. Emma

Mrs A. said...

I have tried to stay off blogging for long periods at a time so completly missed this post. Good job I regularly check back on friends blogs. Both these cards are gorgeous . Love the background on the first one. So my colours and the alternate bird colours on the second is a lovely idea. Hope your both keeping well. We had 5-6 inches of snow on Thursday which completly shut most of Hampshire off the radar for two days. We are just not geared up for snow in this country. We managed to trundle down to the village yesterday me hanging onto the
Doc and him hanging onto the trolley. Must have looked like a proper couple of old codgers!! Hugs Mrs A.

Karen Dunbrook said...

Each card unique from the other....great use of that die for the challenge.
xx Karen

Jester said...

They both look really good. I like the Distress Oxide background on the first, and the birds look very striking against the contrast of the second background. That's a good tip, Chris - wish I was that organised!